Chinese New Year is the season where many of you are busy spring cleaning and shopping for new clothes and groceries. As such, I wanted to share a simple noodle dish to usher in the new year. During Chinese New Year, the noodles should not be cut as it symbolises longevity and happiness in Chinese culture.
This is a fairly easy and delicious dish to whip up, especially during this busy period where there is so much to do and so little time. Instead of using Longevity noodles (长寿面 Chángshòu Miàn/chung-show myen), I decided to use e-fu noodles. Hope you give this recipe a try.
We love to hear from you so once you have tried this recipe, we hope that you could provide us with some feedback/comments either via our blog or by joining our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group. You can also like us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page or subscribe to our blog via the right side bar to get the latest updates.
3 stacks of e-fu noodles
½ chicken breast
200 grams of yellow chives, cut into 2-3 cm length
1 can of straw mushrooms, rinse and cut into half
3 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked and slice thinly
Some green vegetables of your choice
12 prawns, rinse and de-veined
5 garlic, minced
1 part corn starch mixed with 2 parts water (to thicken the sauce)
2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soya sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese wine
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
½ tablespoon of sesame oil
Sugar to taste
Dashes of white pepper
Pinches of salt
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Lower the heat and add the chicken breast. Poach the chicken until cooked.
- Drain and set aside the chicken stock.
- When the chicken has cooled down, use a fork to shred the chicken until floss-like and set aside.
- Sprinkle some water on the noodles and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and then add the garlic and shitake mushrooms. Stir fry till fragrant.
- Add in the straw mushrooms and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add chives and sauté for 1 minute. (I omitted this as I do not have it).
- Add 2 to 3 cups of the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add in the seasonings and mix well.
- Add in the corn starch if you are using.
- Add in the e-fu noodles, prawns and the vegetable. Stir and mix well. If it is too dry, add more water.
- Let the noodles simmer for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Once it is cooked, let your noodles rest in the wok for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When the noodle is ready, dish up and top it with the shredded chicken. It is ready to be served!