The Chinese word for fish (鱼/yu) sounds like the word abundance (余) that is why it is important for fish to be served as one of the dishes during Chinese New Year. You can use different fishes to cook and in different methods such as steaming, braising, deep-frying, you name it! In last year’s Chinese New Year series, I shared a Cantonese Style Steamed Fish (粤式蒸鱼), so I thought it will be nice to share a different method of cooking the fish this year.
When I was approached by Share Food to create a dish using Maggi products, I was unsure of what ingredients to use. As I have a bottle of Maggi extra spicy chilli sauce on hand, I thought it would be a great idea to cook with it. My family was impressed by the taste of the sauce I have created and poured over this deep fried fish. Needless to say, they enjoyed this dish thoroughly.
So why not add this on your list of dishes to cook this Chinese New Year! Let’s get cooking…..
Another dish created by Mummy’s Kitchen for your enjoyment. If you like this dish and want more cooking ideas, we love to hear from you either via our blog. Like and follow us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram (@TheRealBeyondNorm) and YouTube (@BeyondNormEats), to get the latest exciting updates and videos. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran.
Gong Xi Fa Cai! 恭禧發財!!
Serves 4 people
1 850g whole fish (firm white fish)
1 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoon Cornflour or Tapioca Starch
2 cups Oil (for deep frying of fish)
For the sauce:
3 tablespoons of Maggi Extra Hot Chilli Sauce
1 ½ to 2 tablespoons sugar
2 ½ to 3 tablespoons kaffir lime juice
2 to 2 ½ tablespoons fish sauce
6 shallots, finely cut
3 tablespoon chopped coriander
Some boiled water
Preparation of Fish:
- If your fishmonger has not done it yet, “Butterfly” the fish by splitting the fish using a sharp knife.
- Clean, wash and pat the fish dry.
- Make 2 diagonal cuts on each side of the fish to ease cooking.
- Rub salt all over the fish.
- Coat the fish in a thin layer of flour on both sides, inside of meat and outside of skin.
Deep Fry the Fish:
- In a large pan, add the oil and heat for 5 minutes until hot, but not smoking.
- Hold the tail of the fish and slide the fish into the hot oil from the side of the pan.
- Deep fry fish on medium heat until crispy and golden brown (about 5 minutes on each side).
- When done, set the fish aside.
Preparation of the Sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients, except the water, into a small bowl.
- Adjust taste if needed.
- If the sauce is too thick add a few drops of boiled water to dilute.
Assembling of the Fish:
- Line a serving plate with the shredded cucumber.
- Place the fried fish on top.
- Then pour the sauce over the fish.
- Garnish with thin lime slices (Optional) and serve immediately.
3 thoughts on “Recipe: Crispy Fish Topped With Extra Spicy Chilli Sauce”
Maggi sauce not Maggie sauce
Thank you! 👍