When I was browsing through the supermarket the other day, my eyes fell on some egg tofu that were on offer, buy 2 tubes at a discounted price. So why not right? Frankly, I prefer the egg tofu to the silken one as they are tastier.
You might say tofu is bland and does not have much taste, that is why I topped my tofu with crispy dried prawns and chopped spring onions to bring up its flavour. If you prefer, you can replace the crispy dried prawns with minced pork, or chicken, or mushrooms to make it a vegetarian dish. This dish is so versatile, and it is simple and easy to prepare. Most importantly it is very satisfying to our tummies!!
This dish really leaves no room for anyone to give an excuse for not preparing home cooked meals. Hahaha.
If you like this recipe, be generous and give us some feedback/comments via our blog. Like and follow us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram (@TheRealBeyondNorm) and YouTube (@BeyondNormEats), to get the latest exciting updates and videos. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran.
Serves 4 to 5 persons
2 tube egg tofu
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
50g dried prawns, minced
2 tablespoons oil
Some chopped spring onions
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
½ teaspoon sesame oil
½ tablespoon oyster sauce
dash of white pepper powder
1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
1 tablespoon water
Preparation for the Tofu:
- Cut the egg tofu in half with a sharp knife (sometimes the packaging comes with a “dotted line” as a cutting guide).
- Remove tofu from the packaging.
- Cut the tofu into 8 slices for each tube and place them on a plate.
- Heat up a wok of boiling water and steam the tofu for 4 minutes.
Preparation for the Dried Prawns:
- Soak the dried prawns with some water for about 3 minutes.
- Drain the water and mince the prawns.
- Remove the skin from the garlic. Chop them finely.
- Heat up a pan and add some oil.
- Add in the chopped garlic, then stir fry till fragrant.
- Add in the minced prawns and stir fry till crispy.
- Remove and set aside.
Preparation for the Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce together.
Final touch to the dish:
- Before serving, drizzle the sauce over the tofu
- Next, spoon the crispy dried prawns over each slice of tofu.
- Garnish them with the chopped spring onions and serve immediately.
Enjoy your meal!!