Once again, I am so thrilled to collaborate with Singapore Home Cooks and Huiji Waist Tonic to create a recipe which I have never cooked before. For those who have been following our blog would know by now that we ae always trying to churn out healthy food for the family using natural ingredients and no MSG, artificial colouring, or preservatives.
Huiji Wasit Tonic is made of 100% premium natural herbs including Cordyceps, Ginseng, Du Zhong, Dang Gui, Shou Wu and Da Zao. The unique formula helps to combat rheumatism, overcome fatigue, nourish vital energy and is especially beneficial for those who experiences lower back pain and backache. It does not contain alcohol and added sugar, thus suitable to be consumed during confinement. NOTE: It is not suitable for pregnant women!!
My family’s verdict is it’s simply delicious! I will definitely cook it again. So, what are you waiting for? Come join me in this quest for a healthy dinner….
I hope you like this dish as much as we do! Give us some comments or feedback via our blog. We would also like to invite you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers, whether you are newbies or veterans. You can like us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog and Instagram @beyondnormblog to get the latest updates. If you love videos subscribe to our YouTube channel @beyondnormblog.
Serves 4 persons
½ a duck
1½ tablespoons salt
2½ cups Huiji Waist Tonic
5cm ginger, slice thinly
6 cloves of garlic with skin
3 large red dates
1 tablespoon wolfberries
1 tablespoon dark soya sauce
1 tablespoon light soya sauce
Some cooking oil
Preparation of the eggs:
- Parboil the eggs and remove the shell.
- Or you may parboil the eggs and crack the shell lightly.
Marinating of the duck for 2 hours or more:
- Rinse the duck then dry.
- Rub salt on the duck.
- Pour a cup of Huiji Waist Tonic on the duck and marinade it.
Cooking the duck:
- Peel and slice the ginger.
- Heat up a claypot with some cooking oil.
- Add in the ginger and sauté till fragrant.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Sear the marinated duck on all sides with the hot oil.
- Add in all the dates and ½ of the wolfberries.
- Add in the dark soya sauce, light soy sauce and any remnants of the marinated juice.
- Add enough water to cover ¾ of the duck.
- Then add in the eggs.
- Bring it to a boil. Then lower the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn the duck and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Before serving, pour 1 cup of Huiji Waist Tonic over the duck.
- Sprinkle with some chopped spring onions. Then serve immediately.