My family loves deep fried fish, yes I know, I know it is unhealthy. (Ok, don’t judge me!) This is why I stared at these pieces of fresh pinkish orangey salmon which I have bought from the wet market that morning and wondered how I should cook them so that it’ll be a healthy meal for my family. I wanted something simple, quick, delicious and nutritional. I thought a pan-seared salmon with a tangy and refreshing mango and avocado salsa will definitely meet all my criteria. The fish was so fresh and the salsa was so very appetising AND the colour was just so pleasing to the eyes too. What a meal!! 🙂
We love to hear from you so once you have tried this recipe, we hope that you could provide us with some feedback/comments. Like and follow us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram (@TheRealBeyondNorm) and YouTube (@BeyondNormEats), to get the latest exciting updates and videos. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran.
Serves 4 persons
Mango & Avocado Salsa:
2 ripe mangoes, diced
2 ripe avocados, diced
1 small red onion, diced
¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of sea salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Juice from 1 lime
4 pcs salmon fillets
2 tablespoons cornflour
2 tablespoons olive oil
Preparation for the Mangoes and Avocado Salsa:
- If you are clueless about mangos? Check out this video from the National Mango Board, which shows you how to pick a ripe one and cut it up.
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl.
- Stir to combine and adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
- Set aside in the fridge.
Preparation and cooking of salmon:
- Sprinkle the salmon fillets generously with salt and pepper.
- Coat the salmon skin lightly with the cornflour.
- Add oil into a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the salmon fillets, skin side up. Cook, without moving, until the sides are cooked just past halfway up the fillets.
- Flip and cook, without moving, until the sides are fully cooked.
- Transfer to a dish and top with salsa accompanied with sweet corn.