I was supposed to prepare a carbs dish for a birthday celebration and it was mind–boggling, especially when the accompanying dishes ordered by my friends were signature dishes from cafés/restaurants. I wanted something special so I thought what could be better than making a cake (a Spaghetti cake) for this special occasion!!
Everyone was of course very curious when I mentioned that I would be preparing a Spaghetti cake as no one had tasted it before. It was basically like Spaghetti Carbonara in a cake form with a crunchy top. I was very delighted that the cake was very well received that night. I hope you are curious and will start baking one for yourself soon!!
If you like this recipe, be generous and give us some feedback/comments via our blog. Like and follow us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram (@TheRealBeyondNorm) and YouTube (@BeyondNormEats), to get the latest exciting updates and videos. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran.
Serves 5 to 6 persons
300ml double cream/thicken cream
Some grated Parmesan
120g grated cheddar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
6-8 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
50g ham, cut into small pieces
200g baby-leaf spinach
50g cherry tomatoes, quartered
Pinches of salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F
Preparation for the Spaghetti:
- In a large pot, add water and boil.
- Add the spaghetti and cook till almost al dente (less than the suggested cooking time on the packet).
- Remove and run it under cold water to stop it from cooking.
- Drain and set aside.
Preparation for the rest of the Ingredients:
- Rinse the basil leaves and set aside to dry.
- In a pan, heat up some olive oil.
- Add the onions and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the bacon and fry for another 3-4 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the eggs, cream and 80g of cheddar cheese. Stir to blend them together.
- Mix in the tomatoes, bacon, ham, and spinach into the cream mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked spaghetti into the mixture and ensure that the spaghetti is well coated with the mixture of ingredients.
- Lightly coat the loose cake tin with olive oil and press some cheddar cheese to the side of the tin and the bottom.
- Then pour in the spaghetti mixture and level the surface. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and the grated Parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes and remove from oven. Press in the basil leaves.
- Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes or until the top is golden and the filling has set.
- Remove from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes.
- Slide out onto a serving plate, cut into wedges and serve.