What do you do when you are left with some minced pork which is too little to cook a dish? I decided to make some wanton (dumplings) and cook some noodles to go with them. Voila! Wanton Mee!!
This is a popular noodle dish in Asia. One version of this dish is served in a hot broth garnished with leafy vegetables, and wonton dumplings. Another version is a dry version mixed into a dark sauce. Today, I am introducing the dry version and I am unsure of whether this is a Singaporean or Malaysian style but regardless, it is simply delicious!! Yum yum!!
We love to hear from you so once you have tried this recipe, we hope that you could provide us with some feedback/comments either via our blog or by joining our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group. You can also like us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page or subscribe to our blog via the right side bar to get the latest updates.
Serves 4 persons
4 coils of dry wanton noodles
Some char siew (Store bought or homemade)
8 stalks of green vegetables, washed, drained, and cut into half
Wonton filling ingredients:
A packet of wanton wrappers
100g of ground pork
100g of prawns, deveined and chopped into small pieces
Some chopped cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ tablespoon Chinese wine
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
Sauce (per serving)
1 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
½ tablespoon sesame oil
Some chopped spring onions
Some chopped cilantro
Some homemade pickled green chilli or sambal chilli
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (Alternatively, use diced pork lard/fat)
3 tablespoons cooking oil
Preparation for Wanton:
- Combine all the ingredients for the wanton (except wrappers) and mix well.
- Let the pork and prawns marinade for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To make the wanton you may refer to how I made mine here: https://beyondnorm.com/2016/07/31/teochew-keow-recipe/
- Set the wrapped wanton aside.
Preparation of Char Siew:
- Prepare the Char Siew with my recipe or get some store-bought cooked Char Siew.
- Slice it lengthwise and set aside.
Preparation of the sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauces together in individual bowls and set aside.
Preparation of garlic oil:
- Heat up the oil.
- Add the chopped garlic.
- Fry till almost golden brown.
- Dish up together with the oil and set aside.
Preparation for cooking the wanton noodles:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Blanched the vegetables till cooked and set aside.
- Add the raw wanton into the boiling water till cooked.
- Drain and set aside.
- Use a wire strainer and add in the loosen strands of noodle into the hot boiling water till al-dente.
- Then run it under cold running tap water for 5 seconds and dip the noodles in the boiling water again just to warm it up.
- Transfer the noodles into the prepared serving bowl/plate toss them in the sauce.
- Top the noodles with the wanton, char siew, vegetables, and garlic oil.
- Place some pickled green chilli or Sambal chilli at the side and serve immediately.