I do not know why but I just love to eat all kinds of tapioca desserts (especially this Steamed Tapioca Kuih with Coconut). Recently, I have been seeing a lot of tapioca in the market so I bought some to make this soft textured, delicious kuih for our dessert. However, I had a problem…. I didn’t know which one to choose, they came in so many shapes and sizes! Which one, which one? I guess you can never go wrong when asking some older folks for advice. I saw two elderly ladies near me and I asked them. They gladly taught me how to choose the right ones like an expert. Happily, I bought 3 pieces of skinny and long tapioca and here I am sharing with you another one of my dessert “adventures”.
I hope you like the dessert that I am sharing with you. We love to hear from you so once you have tried this recipe, we hope that you could provide us with some feedback/comments. Like and follow us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram (@TheRealBeyondNorm) and YouTube (@BeyondNormEats), to get the latest exciting updates and videos. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran.
550g grated tapioca
120ml coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
Some pandan leaves (optional)
Banana leafs (optional)
200-250g fresh grated coconut
Pinch of salt / 10g sugar
- Peel off the skin and then rinse off the mud (if any) from the cassava/tapioca.
- Dry the cassava/tapioca and then grate them.
- Mix together the grated cassava/tapioca, sugar, coconut milk, and sea salt.
- Place the tapioca mixture in a square, round or oval pan. (whichever shape of pan you have available)
- If you are using banana leafs, line the pan with the leaf.
- Place some of the cleaned pandan leaves on top of the tapioca mixture.
- Steam at high heat for 25 to 30 mins or until cooked.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool completely.
- Now steam the grated coconut with salt or sugar for 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool completely and remove the pandan leaves.
- Once the tapioca kuih is cooled, cut into desired size.
- Coat in the prepared coconut and serve.
- The remaining kuih and coconut can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days