Regardless of what you call this, it is one of my comfort food. I remember during my childhood days, we will have Rou Song to accompany our plain Teochew porridge or we will make a sandwich by spreading butter on white bread and sprinkling some on to the bread. It is also made into Mini Spring Rolls and served as one of the Chinese New Year’s goodies.
As we will be preparing chicken stock for our reunion dinner this Chinese New Year, instead of throwing away the chicken after cooking the stock, why not turn it into this yummy irresistible goodies.
Once you have tried this recipe, we hope that you could provide us with some feedback / comments Like and follow us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram (@TheRealBeyondNorm) and YouTube (@BeyondNormEats), to get the latest exciting updates and videos. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran.
Fry pan / wok
1 Chicken from the stock
1 1/2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
3 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce.
1 tablespoon Fish Sauce
4 tablespoons Fine Sugar
3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Five Spices Powder
1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- Place the deboned meat into a Ziploc bag.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten it as much as you can.
- Add all the seasonings in the Ziploc bag and mix well.
- Use a fork to tear them apart. Shred them into fine shreds.
- Put 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil and add the meat into a wok, mix well.
- Using the lowest heat, dry fry and toast the meat.
- Keep frying the meat for 15 – 20mins or until the meat is totally dry.
- Make sure the chicken floss is completely dry during frying. The finished product should be dry and flossy. It should also turn golden in colour.
- Transfer the chicken floss to a large tray/plate. Spread out evenly to cool down.
- If you prefer the fluffy chicken floss, use your fingers to rub it a little bit to make it fluffier.
- Best to consume within 1 week. You may store them in the fridge to keep it longer.