I love cooking with fish head, you can always make an awesome dish from different cooking style.
This Braised fish head with gravy is a great option for those who do not eat spicy food like fish head curry. It is perfect as a one pot dish as it is packed with vegetables and the gravy can double up as soup, making it a nutritious and satisfying meal for the family. I decided not to deep fry the pieces of fish head to make it a healthier dish. Hope you enjoy this simple and easy to cook dish as much as we do. 😊
Like and follow us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram (@TheRealBeyondNorm) and YouTube (@BeyondNormEats), to get the latest exciting updates and videos. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran.
Serves 3 to 4 persons
1 whole large fish head, cut into large pieces
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
25g ginger, sliced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
3 stalks of spring onions, sliced into 3 sections
1 carrot, sliced
1 small/medium Napa cabbage, cut into slices
2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine
- Season the fish head pieces with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Heat oil in the clay pot over medium heat.
- Fry the sliced ginger until fragrant.
- Then add the white part of the green oniond and stir fry for a minute.
- Next, add in the garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Add the carrot and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the Napa cabbage and fry for a minute.
- Place the fish in the clay pot.
- Add in the oyster sauce (if you are using) and the light soy sauce.
- Add in the water.
- Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Before serving, add in the Shaoxing wine.