I was trying to recall the time that I first tasted and saw this Teochew Olive Fried Rice… Yes, yes, it was Soup Restaurant! My mum loves this dish and my sister will order this dish when we have lunch. Although I am a Teochew, I was never a fan of this black olive till I tasted and saw the way it was being used in the fried rice. Be careful, this ingredient will make your fried rice irresistible!
Fried rice is always one of my favourites. It is a quick and easy way to prepare a delicious meal for the family and satisfy the tummies without any fuss. The type of ingredients that you want to add into your fried rice is up to your whim and fancy. However, the basic ingredients stay, that is overnight rice, and eggs. Get ready to turn on the heat and let your stir frying begin….
If you like this recipe, be generous and give us some feedback/comments via our blog. Like and follow us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram (@TheRealBeyondNorm) and YouTube (@BeyondNormEats), to get the latest exciting updates and videos. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran.
Serves 4 persons
2 cups of cooked rice (refrigerated overnight)
200g bacon/minced pork/minced chicken
5 cloves of garlic, minced
5 shallots, finely chopped
3 to 4 heaped tablespoons of Black Olive Vegetable (drain the oil and remove seeds if any)
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 to 1½ teaspoons fish sauce to taste
Dashes of white pepper
Chopped spring onions
Chilli Belacan (homemade), optional
- Add bacon to a wok. Stir and cook until golden and the fat is rendered. Dish out and set aside.
- Heat about 2 tbsp of oil in the wok.
- Fry the garlic and shallots.
- If you are using minced meat instead of bacon, add in and fry till fragrant.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of the black olive vegetables.
- Next, add in the beaten eggs. Let it sit, without stirring, for about 10 seconds.
- Then stir with a wooden spoon.
- When the egg is almost cooked, pour in the rice and give it a few quick stirs to mix well.
- Add in some fish sauce and some pepper to taste.
- At this juncture, add in the bacon, and if you like, more black olive vegetables.
- Continue to fry until everything is well combined and the rice is of an even colour.
- Dish out the fried rice and garnish it with some spring onions. Serve immediately.
2 thoughts on “Recipe: Olive Fried Rice (橄榄菜炒饭)”
Can I know what is black olive vegetable and where I can buy it?
Hi Maureen, you should be able to buy a jar of black olive vegetables at a convenience store near you. 🙂