As far back as I can remember, one thing I will not miss out on giving my children during their examination periods was Essence of Chicken!! By giving them a dosage of this magical essence, it somehow gave me the assurance and satisfaction that I have helped them to achieve better results!!
In recent days, I have been feeling fatigue and I decided to cook this dish to combat my “overworked” body!! I added in red dates to replenish iron and promote blood circulation and wolf-berries for good eyesight. Well, well it seems to work on me and I certainly felt more energetic today. Maybe I should cook it more often!
Which do you prefer? Drinking the Essence of Chicken straight from the bottle or use it for cooking? Personally, I prefer to use it for cooking. Just to let you in on a secret, I always thought my children were so brave to be able to drink the essence straight from the bottle.
If you like this recipe, be generous and give us some feedback/comments below. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran. You can like us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram and YouTube, @beyondnormblog, to get the latest exciting updates and videos.
Serves 3 to 4 persons
2 medium drumsticks with thigh, chopped into large pieces
1-inch of old ginger, julienned
3 Chinese mushrooms, rinsed and soaked until soften, cut into strips
6 red dates, stones removed
15g dried black fungus, rinsed and soaked until soften, cut into broad strips
2 bottles of essence of chicken
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Dash of pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 – 2 teaspoons superior light soya sauce
- In a mixing bowl, add in the chopped chicken, Chinese mushroom strips, sesame oil, ginger, corn starch, one bottle of essence of chicken, salt and light soy sauce. Then mix well. Set aside to marinate for at least an hour or more in the fridge.
- In a steaming dish, add the black fungus strips and then the marinated chicken.
- Then sprinkle the goji berries and add the red dates to the chicken.
- Steam under high heat for 15-20 min or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Remove the steamed chicken from the stove, then pour the other bottle of chicken essence over the chicken.
- Serve immediately.