For as far as I can remember, when we were staying in Kuala Lumpur, each time we ate at Chinese restaurants with my brother-in-law, he will order Egg Foo Yong. Up till today, I’ve always wondered why… But I guess it may be his favourite food.
The ingredients for this dish is so versatile that you can add in ingredients of your choice. You can either make it into a vegetarian dish by omitting all the meat or you can add in as many of your favourite ingredients to make a nutritious and delicious dish.
If you like this recipe, be generous and give us some feedback/comments via our blog. Like and follow us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram (@TheRealBeyondNorm) and YouTube (@BeyondNormEats), to get the latest exciting updates and videos. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran.
Serves 4 to 5 persons
4 large eggs
2 stalks of spring onions, cut into 1 inch long
½ red onion, sliced thinly
100g barbeque pork (char siew) homemade or store bought
10 prawns, deshelled and deveined
1 shitake mushroom, soaked and diced
3 tablespoons of oil
1½ tablespoons light soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
¼ teaspoon cornflour
Pinches of salt
- Heat up the oil in a pan.
- Lightly pan-fry the prawns. Remove and set aside.
- Add in the onions and the mushroom. Sauté them. Then remove and set aside.
- Add in the BBQ pork and warm it up. Remove and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and seasonings in a bowl.
- Add in the spring onions, mushrooms, prawns, BBQ pork, and red onions into the egg mixture. Combine well.
- Heat up the oil in the wok/pan.
- Pour in the egg mixture.
- Fry on medium-low heat until the bottom starts browning and the eggs appears to be setting.
- Try to lift and flip the omelette over. Let it fry till it is browned evenly.
- Once it is done, transfer the omelette into a serving plate. Serve immediately.
Watch this episode of Under 30 Minutes here:
If you enjoyed this video, don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel so that you get notified when the next episode comes out!