This is a long overdue recipe…… I have made this dish so many times but did not have the time to pen down the recipe and post it. Now that I have the chance to do so, I better get to it!
This is certainly a simple and classic dish that is worth preparing at home. Braising the eggplant and minced meat in the spicy bean paste and soy sauce gives this dish great depth in its flavour. As we love salted fish, I added it in to give an additional punch to the dish. If you think that it is unhealthy to add in the salted fish, then exclude it and the dish is still palatable.
If you like this recipe, be generous and give us some feedback/comments via our blog. We would also like to welcome you to join our Mummy’s Kitchen Facebook Group for food lovers like you, whether newbie or veteran. You can like us on Beyond Norm’s Facebook Page and subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Instagram (@therealbeyondnorm) and YouTube (@beyondnormeats) to get the latest exciting updates and videos.
Serves 4 persons
1 large eggplant
50g salted fish, chopped
120g minced pork
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
a small pinch of salt
2 stalks green onions, separate the chopped white and green parts
1 tablespoon doubanjiang
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
⅛ teaspoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons corn starch solution (1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons of water)
- Marinate the minced pork with ½ tablespoon of minced ginger, a small pinch of salt and the Chinese cooking wine. Set aside.
- Cut the egg plant into 2-inch sticks then set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan and fry the eggplants until the they become soft and withered. Remove the eggplants and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add in the garlic, white part of the spring onion and the remaining ginger. Fry till fragrant.
- Add in the doubanjiang and the chopped salted fish. Then fry till aromatic.
- Add in the marinated pork and stir-fry until it is almost cooked.
- Add in the eggplants, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and some water. Then mix well.
- Let it braise for about 2 minutes.
- Thicken it with the corn starch solution.
- Garnish with chopped green onion (the green parts). Serve immediately with steamed rice.